Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Arrivederci, Roma

My trip to Italy was more than I could have asked for. As everyone I know predicted, I had the time of my life and I am sure I will never forget my experiences abroad. I recommend a similar European experience to anyone and everyone and I think I might make it a point to prompt as many people as I can to go.


I am now home in my house, immersed in air conditioning and writing my final blog as a CAS in Rome student. I am no longer in access to my beloved place, the Piazza della Rotonda, but I can just imagine what is going on there. I am in Northeastern Pennsylvania imaging tourists in Rome, taking in all the action at the piazza, just like I did. I am quite sure that nowhere in the United States is remotely like the piazza and the Pantheon. I will miss them dearly as I speed down the well paved streets of my town where there is not a cobblestone piazza or 400 year old building to be found.


When I am in the grocery store again, I will not be able to avoid comparing it to the Italian supermercato and open air markets. While there is amazing food to be found in the United States, it is still not Italian food in Italy. When I am at the State College Farmer’s Market in August, I will be thinking about the Campo di’ Fiori market and wishing I had the same variety and choices. In the end, Italian food will always be my favorite and I am thrilled that I got a taste of Italy twice in my life.


The summer of 2009 in Italia has forever made and impression on me and I will never forget my experiences eating, spending time near the Pantheon, and everything in between. Arrivederci Roma.

No comments:

Post a Comment