Monday, June 8, 2009

People near the Pantheon

There are constantly people around the Pantheon at Piazza della Rotonda. Over the past four weeks, I have been observing this specific place at all times of the day. One thing about this piazza that I know for certain is that it is undoubtedly a main tourist attraction. Especially in the late afternoon, hundreds of people congregate to take pictures of the Pantheon or to sit down to have a drink or light refreshment.

I continue to notice that every tourist that turns a corner or comes off of a side street has the same reaction when the Pantheon comes into their view. They will always smile and immediately snap a picture. Often I will see people ask someone to take a picture of themselves or whomever they are traveling with. Many times the two parties do not speak the same language and instead, they hold up the camera and say "photo?" with a smile - it always works.

Definitely my favorite occurrence happened the other day when I was near two men talking in the piazza. As I was making my way to the Hotel Sole al Pantheon, a confused man said, "What's this? The Parthenon?" In response, his companion said, "I have no idea but let's get a picture."

No comments:

Post a Comment