Monday, June 1, 2009

Delizioso Gelato!

There must be hundreds of gelaterie in Rome. I do not go down many streets (especially in touristy areas) that do not have at least one place serving gelato. If you didn't know, gelato is an extremely popular Italian ice cream. There are many flavors to choose from. My favorite thing to do is mix two flavors together when I cannot choose (chocolate and strawberry work perfectly together).

It appears that not only tourists flock to gelateries but also the Romans go there to socialize or have a cool treat during their busy workday. I stopped at a gelaterie named San Crispino only to discover later on in my Eyewitness Travel guide that it is gourmet gelato fans' favorite gelaterie. All of there gelato is kept inside covered containers which keep the flavor at its finest. For some people this is a turn-off because many like to visually shop for their gelato. However, all you have to do is learn what the flavors mean in Italian and you can order from the menu board. For the last three weeks of my stay in Roma I will be trying as many gelateries as I can in and around the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment