Thursday, June 25, 2009

Parting ways with the Pantheon

In the first week of our seven-week trip, every time I saw a monument, either new or familiar, I would be excited to know that it was my neighbor or was in the city I would call home for half of my summer. In the last week of this trip, I have noticed that when I see a monument all I can think is, "this is the last time I will walk by here, at least for several years." I hate to think that I will be driving by local dumps in my hometown in just one day instead of randomly walking by the Pantheon, as I have so often done on this trip.

The whole scene has a different feel to me, especially on my last day. When I walked through Piazza della Rotonda on my way back from saying goodbye to the Trevi Fountain, I found myself just staring at the structure. I was thinking about how much I will miss it. I will miss observing people in the square as they take pictures, eat, drink, etc. I will especially miss listening to people's conversations such as the day two men thought they had found the Parthenon.

The Pantheon and Piazza della Rotonda will always be close to my heart when I reminisce on the days of my Roman adventure in the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment