Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Rethinking la fontana @ Piazza d. Rotonda

On May 25, 2009, I wrote about the fountain in my favorite piazza, Piazza della Rotonda. Looking back, I think I left out some important details. Today, I was in the piazza just spending some time observing tourists and seeing what else was going on. I decided to snap a few more pictures of the area. When I was photographing the fountain I got closer than usual and I thought about the sculpture around the obelisk. From a distance, the fountain is beautiful - I noticed the decent size, the tall obelisk, the running water. When I got up closer to photograph it in more detail I noticed the carvings should not be described as beautiful.

The human head situated between two dolphins looks like it is modeled after an insane man making a creepy face. The dolphins themselves look just as freakish as the man. The whole fountain in finer detail has a very odd style. When you look up a little higher it appears that a demented fish is spraying you with water. Regardless of how odd the sculpture is, I still enjoy and appreciate the talent of the artist and the great condition it is in for its age, almost 435 years old!

No comments:

Post a Comment